This combo has quite rightly become a breakfast classic. The cloud-like pancakes have a lovely lemony zing and are awesome paired with plump, juicy berries. A drizzle of honey and you’re on your way to a very good day indeed.
- 60 g all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 t baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 T caster sugar
- a pinch sea salt
- 180 g ricotta
- 1⁄2 cup full-cream milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- melted butter or vegetable oil, for frying
- runny honey and blueberries, to serve
1. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. In a jug, beat together the ricotta, milk, egg yolks and lemon juice and zest until smooth. Pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and stir to make a smooth batter.
2. Whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks. Stir a large spoonful into the batter to loosen, then fold in the rest.
3. Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and brush with melted butter or oil. Drop 60ml (2fl oz/1⁄4 cup) batter into the pan and cook for 1–2 minutes until golden underneath.
4. Flip and cook for a further minute. Serve straight from the pan or keep warm in a 150°C/gas 2 oven while you cook the remaining batter. Serve warm drizzled with honey and blueberries on the side.
Extract reproduced with permission from Seriously Good Pancakes by Sue Quinn. Published by Hardie Grant. Photography by Faith Mason. Price: R315