- 3-4 sweet potatoes, thinly sliced
- 3-4 potatoes, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 10 g rosemary
- salt, to taste
- 2 sticks Woolworths concentrated chicken stock
- 80 g butter
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 8 free-range chicken thighs (bone in and skin on)
- 1 T olive oil
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a 33 cm baking dish. Arrange the potatoes
in a layer at the bottom of the dish, adding garlic and some rosemary to each layer, then season. Repeat until the dish is three- quarters full.
Mix the chicken stock with 1–2 cups hot water and pour over the potatoes, but don’t cover them.
Stuff the butter, lemon zest and remaining rosemary under the skin of the chicken thighs and generously salt the skin so it will crisp up nicely. Nestle the chicken on top of the potatoes and drizzle with the olive oil. Bake for 40–45 minutes, or until golden brown and the potatoes are cooked through.
Cook's note: “As the chicken roasts, the fat renders into the potatoes. The stock also helps cook the spuds and adds flavour without the richness of a creamy potato bake.”