- 380 g dried green lentils
- ½ cup good olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 x 230 g packs Tenderstem broccoli (or more if you’re really into broccoli, as we are)
- 2 Woolworths Serenade chillies, finely chopped (I removed the seeds)
- 300 g halloumi (or a creamy feta if you’ve run out of or can’t find halloumi)
- 2 T butter
- 100 g roasted and salted cashews
1. Prepare the lentils according to package instructions. Once they’re cooked (not mushy, they should still retain their shape), remove from the heat, rinse with cold water, place on a large serving platter, pour over the olive oil and season to taste. Give it a gentle mix.
2. Steam or boil the broccoli in a large uncovered pot with about 2 cups of water in it for 3–4 minutes. Do not overcook it as you want it to remain crunchy. Once done, remove from the pot, rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process, then return to a pot with a splash of olive oil. Lightly fry with the chilli and preserved lemon peel. Once done, place over the warm lentils.
3. Lastly, fry the slices of halloumi in some of the butter and place on top of the broccoli and lentils. Sprinkle with the cashew nuts.
Photographs: Jan Ras
Production: Bianca Strydom
Assistant: Gail Damon