- 80 g brown lentils
- 40 g red lentils
- 5 T olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 t ground cumin
- 8 cups good-quality lamb stock
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 600 g Woolworths lamb meatballs
- 1 x 400 g chickpeas can, drained and rinsed
- Italian parsley finely chopped, for sprinkling
- Lemon wedges, for serving
Rinse and drain the lentils. Heat 3 T olive oil in a pan and gently soften the onion, celery and carrot. Stir in the garlic and cumin. Add the lentils and stock. Bring to a bubble, then reduce the heat and simmer for 40 minutes, or until the lentils are very soft. Season to taste.
Meanwhile, brown the lamb meatballs in the remaining olive oil over a medium heat for a few minutes on each side side until just cooked. Drain well on kitchen paper.
Add the chickpeas and browned meatballs to the lentils and heat through. Sprinkle with parsley. Pass around the lemon wedges at the table.
Cook's note: You can use lamb mince to make your own meatballs, but save a little time by using Woolies' ready-made lamb meatballs.