- 490 g self-raising flour, plus extra to coat
- 1 1⁄2 cups malt vinegar
- 3 cups beer or soda water
- Salt, to taste
- 8 cups sunflower oil
- 6 x 200 g skin-on hake fillets
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Tartare sauce, for serving
- Red spring onion, chopped, for serving
- Sherry vinegar, for serving
- Cucumber-and-fennel dressing, to serve
Mix the flour, vinegar, beer and salt to form a batter. Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat.
Dip the sh into the extra flour and coat evenly. Working in batches, dip the fish into the batter, allowing any excess batter to drip off.
Fry the fish for 5–6 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp. Drain on kitchen paper and season.
Serve with the salt-and-vinegar chips, lime wedges, aïoli, chopped spring onion mixed with sherry vinegar, and cucumber-and- fennel dressing.