- 1 T oil
- 900 g free-range deboned leg of lamb
- 2 cups Woolworths organic beef or chicken stock
- 2 onions, peeled and quartered
- 7 cardamom pods
- 2 cups plain yoghurt
- 1 t ground turmeric
- 400 g jasmine rice
- 1 T ghee or butter
- 2 Woolworths Heat & Eat garlic naan breads, for serving (optional)
- Salt, to taste
- Chilli oil, for serving (optional)
- Coriander, to garnish
- 100 g pine nuts, lightly toasted, to garnish
Heat the oil in a nonstick pan over a medium to high heat. Brown the lamb and transfer to a cast-iron saucepan.
Cover the lamb with the stock. Add the onions and cardamom. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
Remove the lamb from the saucepan and strain the liquid. Return the lamb to the pan with half the strained liquid, the yoghurt and ½ t turmeric. Simmer for 4 hours, or until tender.
Rinse the rice and soak for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Bring 3 cups water, the ghee or butter, remaining turmeric and salt to the boil. Add the rice and cook for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat and continue cooking for 15 minutes, or until the rice is fluffy.
Serve the lamb with the rice and naan bread. Pour over some of the cooking liquid and a drizzle of chilli oil. Garnish with coriander and pine nuts.