- For the marinade, mix:
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 T olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 1-2 T parsley, chopped
- 1-2 T dill, chopped
- 750g - 1 kg free-range lamb knuckles
- olive oil, for greasing
- 2 cups lamb or chicken stock
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 400 g mix of trimmed mangetout, sugar snap peas and fresh hand-shelled peas
- 10 g fresh mint, plus extra to garnish
- lemon wedges, for serving
- steamed baby potatoes, for serving
1. Marinate the knuckles in the fridge overnight or all day. Preheat the oven to 160°C and grease a suitable casserole. Add the marinated knuckles with enough stock to barely cover the meat. Bring to a simmer on the stovetop.
2. Cover with a sheet of baking paper and a tight-fitting lid. Bake for 11⁄2 hours or until meltingly tender.
3. Remove the meat from the casserole using a slotted spoon and set aside. Blend the liquid until smooth, then reduce over a high heat until slightly thickened. Check the seasoning.
4. Return the meat to the casserole and mix with the reduced sauce. Cover and reheat when needed.
5. Steam the peas for 5 minutes or until just tender. 6 To serve, turn the lamb out onto a platter. Top with the steamed peas and mint, garnishing with more mint if you like. Serve with lemon wedges and hot steamed baby potatoes.