I love cavolo nero season, but you could also use Swiss chard. Wondering why you should save your Parmesan rinds? This is why. I collect mine and freeze them for when I make this or a minestrone.
- 2 T olive oil
- 600 g Woolworths beef-and-pork frikkadels
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 cups beef stock
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch cavolo nero (or 180 g kale), chopped
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- Parmesan, grated, for sprinkling
- olive ciabatta, for serving
1. Heat the olive oil in a large, deep pan. Fry the meatballs until golden brown but not cooked through. Remove from the pan.
2. Add the leeks and fry over a low heat until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, then add the meatballs and stock and cook for 10 minutes.
3. Season and add the cavolo nero or kale and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Stir in the balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and serve with the ciabatta.
Photograph: Dirk Pieters
Production: Abigail Donnelly
Food assistant: Bianca Strydom