- 6 brinjals, sliced lengthways about 6mm thick
- olive oil
- 30 g butter
- salt, to taste
- 500 g tomato sauce (made with peeled tomatoes, onion, carrot, celery, basil and olive oil)
- 50 g grated parmigiano reggiano
- a handful of basil leaves, chopped
- 250 g fiordilatte mozzarella
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Place the brinjal on a baking tray then brush with olive oil. Place in the oven until soft. Remove. Butter a baking dish then layer the bottom with the brinjal.
Season with salt. Cover with the tomato, Parmigiano Reggiano, chopped basil and mozzarella. Repeat for at least 3 layers.
Cover the last layer of brinjal with only tomato sauce then place a few rounds of mozzarella slices on top.
Bake in a 180°C oven for 20 minutes. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Cook’s note: This will taste even better the following day!