- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 T olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 cups drained, cooked red kidney beans
- Cooking liquid (from the beans) or vegetable stock
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Grated Cheddar, grated, for serving
- Baby Roma tomatoes, sliced, for serving
- A handful of coriander leaves, for serving
In a wide, heavy saucepan, soften the onion in the oil until meltingly tender and golden. Stir in the garlic. Add the beans and ½ cup cooking liquid or stock.
Roughly mash the simmering beans using a potato masher then heat through, stirring, until thickened. If necessary, add more liquid as required. Season to taste.
Serve with the cheese, tomato and a sprinkling of coriander leaves.
Cook’s notes: Use, topped with sour cream, as a filling for warm tortillas.
Cook the onion with chopped streaky bacon.
Add slices of spicy chorizo and forgo the cheese and cream in favour of olive oil.
Instead of Cheddar, use feta and drizzle with olive oil.
Serve the beans with eggs fried in olive oil and top with chilli-hot tomato salsa.