- 8 skinless chicken-thigh fillets (about 400g)
- 1 litre (4 cups) chicken broth
- 4 flour tortillas, sliced into strips
- 1 firm ripe avocado, sliced
- coriander leaves, for garnishing
- limes, quartered, for serving
- For the spice rub, mix together:
- 2 t ground cumin
- 1 t ground coriander
- ¼ t chilli powder
- ¼ t salt
- 1 T olive oil
Rub the chicken on both sides with the prepared spice mixture. Place in a cold nonstick pan then turn on the heat to medium-hot.
Once nicely browned, turn and cook the other side, until browned on the outside and just cooked and moist on the inside. Allow the chicken to cool slightly, then shred.
In a separate pot, bring the broth to a bubble. Remove from the heat then add the tortilla strips and avocado.
Stir in the chicken – be careful not to overheat as this will make the avocado bitter. Ladle into large bowls and serve immediately with coriander leaves for sprinkling and plenty of lime for squeezing.
For special occasions: Add cooked, peeled prawns.
Per serving: 1333.4kJ, 26.9g protein, 13.5g fat, 21.3g carbs
The better the broth, the better the dish. Homemade chicken broth is best, but, whatever you use, make sure it is not too salty.