- 3 white onions, coarsely diced
- 7 cloves garlic, coarsely diced
- 2 red peppers, coarsely diced
- 2 green peppers, coarsely diced
- 2 sticks celery
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 t ground cumin
- 1 t cardamom
- 1 1/2 t coriander seeds
- 1 1/2 t fennel seeds
- 1 1/2 t fenugreek seeds
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 500 g dried black beans, soaked in water overnight
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- Lemon juice, to taste
- For the salsa cruda, mix
- 80 g cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 t fresh coriander
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 small red chilli
- 100 g feta, diced
Sweat the onions, garlic, peppers, celery and bay leaves in a little oil until soft and slightly golden.
Dry-roast the spices and grind.
Add the spices to the vegetables and continue sweating. Season to taste.
Add the drained beans, stir well, then add the stock. Cook for 1½ to 2 hours, or until the beans are soft.
Adjust the seasoning and acidity with lemon juice, if necessary. Blend until smooth, then pass through a fine sieve.
Serve the soup topped with a spoonful of salsa cruda.