This trifle is infused with flavours of rose, cardamom, saffron and pistachio. These flavours give the trifle a distinct Middle Eastern twist.
- 1 cup water
- 200 g sugar
- 1 T rose-water
- 1 L Woolworths fresh custard
- a pinch saffron
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 T icing sugar
- 1 t ground cardamom
- 1 x 250 g punnet strawberries, sliced
- 1 x 260 g Woolworths Madeira butter cake loaf, sliced
- 100 g shelled pistachios, chopped, garnish
- pesticide-free dried or fresh rose petals, to garnish (optional)
1. Bring the water and sugar to a simmer over a medium-high heat, swirling the pan occasionally until the sugar has dissolved completely. Remove from the heat, stir in the rose-water and set aside to cool completely.
2. Pour the custard into a bowl, then stir in the saffron and set aside for at least an hour to infuse.
3. Whip the cream, icing sugar and cardamom until soft peaks form. In a separate bowl, mix the strawberries into the cooled rose syrup and set aside.
4. To assemble, layer the cakes slices to cover the base of the bowl. Spoon over the rose syrup and strawberries to create a layer. Spoon over the custard and top with the cardamom cream. Garnish with the pistachios and rose petals.
Photographer: Jan Ras
Production: Abigail Donnelly
Recipes: Saadiyah Hendricks
Food assistant: Bianca Strydom