- 2¾ cups water
- 1 T oil
- 1 t fine salt
- 256 g maize meal
- 128 g flour
- butter or ghee, for frying
1. Heat 2 ½ cups water, the oil and salt in a heavy-based saucepan.
2. When the water starts boiling rapidly, add the maize meal. Stir well.
3. Add the remaining water, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Reduce the heat. The steam will cook the maize meal.
5. Empty into a bowl, then add the flour.
6. At this stage, you can use your food processor or beater with a dough hook to make the dough. If you prefer using your hands to bring the dough together, break the dough into pieces and bring it together again into one ball and knead thoroughly until you get a smooth, velvety dough.
7. Break into 15 equal-sized balls.
8. Shape each ball into a disc using your fingers and roll it flat until it is slightly bigger than a side plate.
9. Dry-fry in a pan over a medium heat, turning once. You can add butter or ghee after dry-frying.
Cook's note: The ratio is 2 to 1–2 cups mielie meal to 1 cup cake flour. If you use 4 cups of mielie meal, then use 2 cups of cake flour.