- 1 x 270 g box Woolworths Easy to Bake malva pudding mix
- 2 cups milk
- ½ cup cream
- ¼ t ground nutmeg
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 free-range egg yolks
- 150 g sugar
- 2½ T cornflour
- 2 T flour
- 30 g butter
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 2 t ground cinnamon, for dusting
1. Make the malva pudding according to the package instructions. Bake in a 20 x 20cm baking dish and allow to cool.
2. To make the filling, bring the milk, cream, nutmeg and cinnamon stick to a gentle simmer in a saucepan over a medium heat.
3. In a heatproof bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, cornflour and flour.
4. Once the milk is simmering, remove the cinnamon stick and slowly pour the milk over the egg mixture while whisking continually.
5. Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook for a further 15 minutes, stirring continually, until the mixture has thickened to a soft porridge consistency.
6. Remove from the heat, then stir in the butter and vanilla.
7. Pour the custard over the cooled malva pudding and spread out evenly. Place a piece of baking paper to cover the surface of the custard, then chill for 6 hours or overnight.
8. To serve, remove the baking paper from the tart, then dust the top with cinnamon.
Photograph: Jan Ras
Production: Bianca Strydom