Enjoy this unique take on a Christmas staple... a mince pie tart with dark brown sugar pastry courtesy of Abigail Donnelly.
- For the brown sugar pastry:
- 375 g flour
- 260 g butter, softened
- 125 g Muscovado sugar
- 2 t ground cinnamon
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- For the filling, mix:
- 450 g fruit mince
- 2 oranges, segmented
- 100 g dried prunes, chopped
- 1 chopped lemon, zested
- 1 free-range egg, beaten and mixed with 1 T water
- icing sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. To make the pastry, combine all the ingredients in a mixer until a dough forms.
2. Shape the pastry into a ball, wrap it in clingwrap and chill for 30 minutes.
3. Grease a 25 cm pie dish with cooking spray and line with baking paper. Roll the pastry out to a thickness of 7 mm and transfer to the pie dish. Trim the edges and chill until needed. Use the pastry offcuts to make shapes to decorate the tart.
4. Spoon the filling into the dish, top with the pastry shapes, brush with the beaten egg and bake for 30 minutes. Allow to cool and dust with icing sugar before serving.
Chef tip: I like to jazz up readymade fruit mince with chopped apples, pears or oranges, dried prunes, zest and nuts. You can make individual tartlets, too!
Photographs: Myburgh Du Plessis
Food assistants: Bianca Strydom and Nadia Meyer