- 2 cups 500ml Woolworths Cake Flour
- 3 teaspoons Woolworths Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Woolworths Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 4-5 tablespoons Woolworths Cocoa Powder (Organic)
- 1/2 cup Woolworths Fresh Butter
- 4 Woolworths Large Free Range Eggs
- 1/2 cup Woolworths Sunflower Seed Oil
- 1 cup 250 ml Woolworths Fresh Butter Milk
- 1 tablespoon Woolworths Vanilla Extract
- 2-3 drops Woolworths Almond Extract
- 1cup 250ml Woolworths Icing Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Woolworths Instant Coffee
- 3/4 cup Woolworths White Sugar
- Spring Water (Boiling)
Cake Batter Preparation:
In a large deep bowl, cream the softened butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
Add one egg at a time and beat together.
Add the rest of the wet ingredients including the buttermilk, oil, and vanilla extract.
Mix cocoa powder with a little hot water and cool before adding to the above mixture.
Mix cocoa until fully dissolved.
Sieve separately the dry ingredients together. Using a metal whisk mix well.
Now add the dry ingredients a little at a time to the above wet ingredients mixture.
(* Cook's note :Mix until all the dry and wet ingredients are well combined but be cautious not to over mix.)
Gently pour cake batter into stoneware baking tray lined with parchment paper.
Tap to release any air bubbles before putting into the oven.
Preheat oven at 180 degrees celsius.
Bake cake at 180 degrees celsius for approximately 35-40 minutes.
Use a skewer to check if the cake is fully cooked through.
(Cook's Note: Cake should still be moist in texture when fully cooked.)
Almond Coffee Cream Icing:
Cream softened butter together with the icing sugar until light and fluffy.
Dissolve instant coffee powder in a little warm milk and add to the butter and sugar mixture.
Lastly add the almond extract. Beat thoroughly to get a creamy consistency.
(Cook's Note: Add a little more milk to make spreadable.)
Once the cake is thoroughly cooled, layer the top of the cake with the almond coffee cream icing.
Cut into squares using a serrated bread knife.
Delicious served on its own. Lovely for family get-togethers.
(*Cook's Note: Makes a large cake yielding approximately 20 medium sized squares.)