- 2 cups Chilli Bite Mix Flour
- 1 cup Gram Pea Flour
- 1/2 a cup Woolworths Plain Self-Raising Flour
- 1/2 a teaspoon Woolworths Bicarbonate of Soda
- 2 teaspoons Woolworths Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Woolworths Turmeric (Curcumin) Powder
- 2 teaspoons Curry Powder/Masala
- 1/2 a teaspoon Cumin (Jeera) Powder
- 1/2 a teaspoon Coriander (Dhunia) Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teasppon Ginger Powder
- 1 bunch Fresh Spring Onion/Chives (Chopped)
- 2 Large Brown Onion (Chopped)
- 5-6 Green Bird's Eye Chillies (Finely Chopped)
- 1 and a 1/2 cups Ice Water
- Woolworths Canola Oil (For Frying)
- 1 teaspoon Woolworths Sea Salt
Chilli Bite Batter Preparation:
Sift Chilli Bite Mix Flour, Gram Pea Flour, Self-raising Flour, and the rest of the dry ingredients into a large deep bowl.
Combine all the dry ingredients using a large whisk until well mixed.
Now add the chopped ingredients, including onions, shallot/spring onion ,green chillies and mix well into the rest of the dry ingredients.
Now add the ice water a little at a time to form a thick batter consistency.
Be careful not to over-mix the batter.
(Cook's note: Batter should be thick but still moist in consistency.)
Now cover the metal bowl with a clean dry cloth and allow the batter to rest for approximately half an hour.
(Cook's note: Chilli Bite variations include adding chopped spinach, green lettuce, grated potatoe, or sweetcorn.)
Preheat canola oil in a large pot for deep frying on medium to high heat.
Spoon batter randomly into the hot oil using a teaspoon measurement to get uniform-sized chilli-bites.
(Cook's note: Use a greased plastic teaspoon to easily scoop the batter.)
Fry chilli-bites until well -cooked in batches.
Drain out excess oil on paper towels.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
Chilli bites is an excellent vegetarian finger-food, renowned as a traditional Indian "party food", and is complimented exceptionally well with simply a cup of tea.