- 1½ cups mosuthane
- 2 l vegetable broth
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 t salt
- 1 T pomegranate seeds
- 1 T red onion, sliced
- 1 T cucumber, chopped
- For the butternut
- 1 cup butternut, roasted
- 1 t honey
- ½ t mixed spice
- t cumin
- For the lemon dressing:
- 1 t honey
- T whole grain of mustard
- salt and pepper to tast
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- Hand full of mixed fresh herbs, finely chopped
1. In a bowl wash mosutlhane with cold tap water.
2. In a medium saucepan put broth, oil, salt and bring it to boil.
3. Place mosutlhane, cover with lid and reduce the heat and let it simmer for 50-60 minutes.
4. Be careful not to overcook or it will be mushy for salad. Once it's light and fluffy, set aside and let it cool.
5. For roasted butternut: preheat the oven at 280. In a bowl marinate the butternut diced with honey, oil, pepper and spices. Put in baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes until tender and brown
6. To make the lemon dressing: combine all ingredients in a jar, put a lid tighter and shake well. Let the dressing rest for a few hours to allow flavours to blend.
7. Spoon mosutlhane on the bowl, then top it with butternut, sprinkle cucumber, onion slices, pomegranate seeds and pepper. Drizzle salad dressing over the salad and mix through. Enjoy it bare or with any meat of your choice.
This is an extract from Life on a Salad by Ompelege Moreosele.