- 2 T olive oil
- 3 baby leeks, cleaned and sliced
- 150 g baby button mushrooms
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 6 baby carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 t smoked paprika
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- 80 g frozen baby peas
- 1 x 400 g Woolworths ready-made chicken gravy packet
- 1/4 cup fresh sweet basil, chopped
- 500 g ready-made puff pastry, thawed
- 2 free-range egg yolks, beaten
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Drizzle olive oil over the baby leeks, baby button mushrooms, onion and baby carrots and sprinkle with smoked paprika. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes. Allow to cool.
Remove the meat from the chicken carcass and shred finely.
In a large bowl, gently mix the roasted vegetables with the peas and chicken Add the gravy and chopped basil.
On a floured surface, roll out the puff pastry to double its original size. Cut out discs to fit inside the cups (and slightly overlap the rims) of a 12-hole muffin tray. Cut out 12 slightly smaller pastry circles for the lids. Grease the muffin tray and line each cup with the larger pasty discs. Spoon in the filling to just under the brim. Brush the rims of the pastry “cups” with a little water and affix the pastry lids, sealing them with a little egg yolk. Brush the tops with the remaining egg yolk and bake for 25 minutes.
Turn out and cool on a wire rack.
Jon’s note: It’s far easier to work with a cold pie filling as it prevents the pastry from breaking.