- 9 T olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 250 - 400 g brown mushrooms
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 400 g mixed mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 - 3 garlic cloves, grated
- 300 g paella or risotto rice
- 3 cups mushroom stock
- parsley, finely chopped, for sprinkling
- Spanish smoked paprika, for dusting
1. Heat 2 T olive oil in a 28–30cm pan. Fry the brown mushrooms until just cooked. Remove and season to taste. Set aside.
2. In the same pan, heat 3 T olive oil. Stir in the mixed mushrooms. Stir-fry until just cooked. Season and remove from the pan.
3. Add another 2 T oil to the pan. Add the onion and cook gently until very tender. Stir in the garlic and another 2 T oil. Add the rice and stir.
4. Add the chopped mixed mushrooms and 2 cups stock. Simmer uncovered over a low heat for
15 minutes, or until the rice is almost cooked, adding more stock if necessary. Pour in the remaining stock and bury the reserved mushrooms in the rice. Cook for 5 minutes, or until everything is hot and the rice is tender. Season to taste. Sprinkle with the parsley and paprika and drizzle with olive oil.
Cook's note: This is a deliciously different way to use risotto rice – or you could use paella rice – with everyday mushrooms from your veggie drawer.