- 1 kg tightly closed mussels, scrubbed
- 1 bunch spring onions
- 3 T olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 400 g baby tomatoes
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 t fresh coriander
- chopped crusty bread, for serving
- Ingredients aren't specified.
1. Place the mussels in a bowl of iced water while you prepare the other ingredients.
2. Separate the spring onions into white and green parts. Slice thinly but keep separate. The greens are used later for sprinkling.
3. Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the white parts of the spring onion, garlic, chilli and tomatoes. Stir-fry over a medium-high heat for a few minutes until the tomatoes start to soften.
4. Add the wine and bring to a bubble. Allow to reduce by almost half.
5. Add the mussels. Discard any open ones. Cover tightly and cook over a high heat for 5 minutes, or until they open and release their liquor. Discard any mussels that stay tightly closed. They shouldn’t need seasoning as the mussel liquor is salty and the broth spicy.
6. Sprinkle with the coriander and the reserved spring onion. Serve with crusty bread.