- 250 g flour
- 1 t salt
- 1 T caster sugar
- 2 T dried yeast
- 3½ T warm water
- 4 free-range eggs
- 75 g butter, softened
- ice cream or crème fraiche, for serving
- For the limoncello-soaked strawberries:
- 1 cup water
- 3 cloves
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 pieces lemon peel
- ½ cup limoncello
- 12 strawberries
1. Place the flour and salt in a large bowl. Dissolve the sugar and yeast in the water, then beat into the flour. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then beat in the butter. Knead until smooth.
2. Divide the mixture between paper cases in a muffin pan ¾ full and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
3. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Bake the rum babas for 30 minutes, then allow to cool and remove the paper cases.
4. To make the limoncello strawberries, place all the ingredients except the limoncello and strawberries in a saucepan. Simmer for 30 minutes. Add the limoncello and strawberries and simmer for 4 minutes.
5. Pour the syrup over the rum babas and allow to stand for 10 minutes. Serve as is or with ice cream or crème fraiche.
Cook's note: You could also make this soaked boozy cake in a bundt tin and serve it sliced with a dollop of mascarpone. It will take 30 minutes longer to bake.
Photographs: Jan Ras
Food assistant: Bianca Strydom