- 3 cups soya sauce
- 1 litre Woolworths organic chicken stock
- 1 stalk lemongrass, split lengthways
- 2 star anise
- 1 t Szechuan peppercorns
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 red chilli
- 1 x 3 cm piece ginger, peeled
- 1 whole free-range chicken
- Grilled red cabbage, for serving
- Steamed white rice, for serving
Place all the ingredients except the chicken in large stock pot and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and immediately submerge the bird in the liquid. Cover the pot with tinfoil and a tight-fitting lid. You can also use tinfoil to be really sure it's sealed. And don't open it to check whether it's cooking!
Allow to stand for 6 hours, then portion.
Serve with grilled red cabbage, steamed white rice and broth.
Cook’s note: This is a perfect dish to prep in advance and come home to on a busy weeknight. Freeze the broth and use in Asian noodle soups or to poach vegetables.