- For the grilled mushroom ragù:
- 500 g open brown mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3–4 large cloves garlic, smashed
- 4 T olive oil
- sea salt, to taste
- For the olive sauce:
- 70 g ripe black or Kalamata pitted olives, finely chopped
- ½ cup cream
- 3 T Italian parsley, finely chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 300 g penne, cooked until al dente
Wipe the mushrooms clean using kitchen paper. Place the mushrooms, onion and garlic in a large grill pan. Moisten with olive oil, add a little salt and mix.
Slide under a hot grill, and cook, turning every 5 minutes, for 15 minutes or until well-browned. Chop roughly, then blend to make a thick ragù.
To make the olive sauce, heat the olives with the cream, parsley and seasoning. Mix with the drained pasta.
Spoon the pasta and olive sauce into large bowls, then top generously with the ragù. Check the seasoning. Add some torn parsley, and a slick of olive oil, if you like.