- 3 free-range eggs
- 1 T cream
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 10 g butter
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 slices white bread
- 30 g mozzarella, grated
- 2 T mature Gouda, grated (optional)
- 1 T Woolworths jalapeño atchar (or tomato relish or pesto)
1. Whisk the eggs, cream and seasoning together in a bowl.
2. Melt the butter and olive oil in a non-stick pan over a medium to low heat. Pour in the eggs and add the sliced bread to the pan, placing the 2 slices next to each other. Carefully turn the bread over to soak in the eggy mixture. Leave the bread where it is – don’t move it as it needs to set into the eggs.
3. When the edges of the omelette are set but the mixture is still a bit wet, carefully flip over the eggs and both slices of bread.
4. Place the cheese and atchar in the middle of the bread and fold the edges of the omelette over the bread. Carefully flip one slice of bread onto the other to close the sandwich and fry for 20–30 seconds to toast the bread, then turn over again to toast the other side and to melt the cheese. Slide out of the pan, slice in half and serve with extra atchar.
Cook's note: This is TASTE's take on the egg sandwich recipe that was popularised on TikTok in 2020. Part of the appeal is the choreography of the process. Search #breakfastsandwich on TikTok to see how it's done.