- 1 T olive oil
- 2 T butter
- 1.3 kg free-range whole chicken, spatchcocked
- 300 g red or yellow split lentils, cooked according to package instructions
- 2 cups Woolworths organic chicken stock
- 2 red chillies, roughly chopped
- 2 green chillies, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 1 T fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 T fresh turmeric, finely grated
- 12 curry leaves
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Preheat the oven to 200°C. Heat a large wok or nonstick pan over a high heat. Add the olive oil and butter and sear the chicken on both sides until golden. Remove from the wok.
Place the cooked lentils and remaining ingredients into a large ovenproof dish. Place the chicken on top of the lentils and roast for 1 1⁄2 hours, or until cooked through. Brush the chicken with melted butter every 20 minutes to keep the skin golden. Season to taste.
Cook's note: The ginger, turmeric and chilli in this easy, comforting supper will warm you up from the inside.