- for the base:
- 150 g pretzels, crushed
- 125 g butter, melted
- for the filling:
- 3 T olive oil
- 100 g leeks, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped (or 2 t Woolworths crushed garlic)
- 6 shallots, halved
- 1 white onion, cut into rings
- 6 free-range eggs
- 1/2 cup cream, plus 2 T
- 100 g Cheddar, grated
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a 21 cm quiche dish.
2. To make the base, combine the pretzels and butter and press into the dish.
3. To make the filling, heat the olive oil in a pan and fry the leeks and garlic over a medium heat until caramelised, 5–10 minutes. Do the same with the shallots and onion, frying them separately and ensuring they’re tender before starting the next one.
4. Arrange the leeks, shallots and onion on the base. Combine the eggs, cream, Cheddar and seasoning, pour over the onions and bake for 30 minutes, or until set.
Photograph: Jan Ras
Food assistant: Bianca Strydom