- 4 T butter
- 4 T flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 t fresh thyme, leaves picked
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 slices gypsy ham
- 200 g Woolworths Emmenthal cheese, thickly sliced
- 100 g Woolworths Overberg cheese, sliced
- 1 ciabatta loaf, sliced and toasted
- 8 free-range eggs
- 2 T olive oil
Melt the butter in a saucepan and whisk in the flour. Gradually add the milk, stirring, until smooth and thick. Add the thyme and season to taste.
Generously layer the ham and cheese onto the toast, arrange on a baking tray and grill until the cheese melts. Remove from grill, top with a generous spoon of sauce and grill until golden and bubbling, taking care that the toast doesn’t burn.
Fry the eggs in the olive oil and serve with the toast.
Cook's note: I love a good cheese sarmie, but if you want to impress your friends make this instead.