- 1 organic onion, chopped
- 2 T organic butter
- 1 clove organic garlic, crushed
- 300 g organic Swiss chard, shredded
- sea salt and freshly gound black pepper
- 300 g organic basmati rice
- 3 cups organic vegetable stock
- 1 x 400 g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 100 g organic plain feta, drained
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 T organic almonds, roasted
In a saucepan, gently soften the onion in the melted butter. Stir in the garlic and chard. Cover and leave for 5 minutes until the chard has wilted. Season lightly.
Stir in the rice, then pour in the stock and bring to a boil. Add the chickpeas and cover tightly. Reduce the heat, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender. Add the crumbled feta and cover again, then turn off the heat and leave for 5 minutes to steam the rice and melt the feta.
Drizzle with the olive oil and a grinding of black pepper. Sprinkle with the almonds and serve immediately.
Per serving: 2333.9 kJ, 14.9 g protein, 21 g fat, 72.5 g carbs
Lots of texture and contrasting flavours add up to an interesting, tasty dish. Substantial enough to stand on its own, it also makes a great side to roast free-range lamb or grilled free-range chicken.