- 1 kg ox tail
- 1 kg ripe tomatoes, blanched to remove the skin
- 800 g chopped tinned tomatoes
- 2 large onions
- 2 large sweet potatoes, sliced
- salt and fresh ground black pepper
- brown sugar to taste
- basil (optional), to taste
- tomato paste to thicken if needed
- Ingredients aren't specified.
Heat the oil in a large saucepan and brown the oxtail. Remove from the pan and fry the onions until soft.
Add tomatoes, salt and pepper and oxtail. Cook covered, on a low heat for 3 hours (or in the oven at 120C).
Add sweet potatoes and cook for 30 minutes.
Serve with rice and season with basil (optional).
Cook's note:"I refused to eat oxtail when I was young and I really wish I had eaten more of it before leaving home, my mom’s always seems to have the perfect mix of sweet-and-savoury tomato gravy.” - Alistair Fester
This recipe is part of TASTE's "Mother Knows Best" feature (May 2016), where the TASTE team convinced their mothers to share their secret recipes.
What is your mother's famous dish? Upload it to your profile on TASTE here.