- 500 g filleted tuna or firm white fish
- Olive oil
- For the dressing, mix together:
- 2 firm red tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 punnet baby salad onions, finely chopped
- 1-2 fresh chillies, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons good olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- Coarse sea salt and milled black pepper
- For serving
- 1 large firm ripe avocado, thinly sliced
- Hot baked sweet potatoes
Cut the fish into large cubes. Sprinkle with salt and oil. Quickly sear on top of the stove in a hot grill pan. Take care not to overcook. Tuna should be distinctly rare, white fish just cooked and still moist.
Turn onto plates or a platter lined with sliced avocado. Spoon dressing over fish. Serve with hot baked sweet potatoes.
Traditionally for ceviche, a Latin American favourite, the raw fish is ‘cooked’ in the lime dressing. Here it’s used to dress quickly grilled fish.