- 4 portions dorado, about 200g each, filleted but not skinned
- Olive oil
- Maldon sea salt and milled pepper
- Baby cos leaves
- For the corn salad:
- 4 large sweet corn cobs
- 2 tablespoons good olive oil
- 3 tablespoons thick mayonnaise
- 2-3 tablespoons snipped chives
- 1 sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 chilli, finely chopped (optional)
Wash and dry the fish well. Slash the skin side. Oil and season the fish with salt. Pour a little olive oil into a heavy pan and heat on medium to high.
When hot enough, add the fish, skin side down. Cook for about 4 minutes until well browned and seared. Flip and do the same on the other side.
The fish should be beautifully browned outside but still moist. Add pepper to taste.
Meanwhile prepare the corn. Slice off the kernels with a sharp knife. Blanch in a saucepan of unsalted boiling water.
Drain and mix with the rest of the ingredients. Season to taste. Place the corn in wide bowls or large plates. Top with the fish and a handful of leaves. Add a squeeze of lemon juice and drizzle with olive oil.
I used dorado, but cob or yellowtail would be good too. Go for what’s freshest and best. Pan roasting means that the fish is cooked in a minimum of oil until it’s nicely browned and crusty on the outside, and still moist inside.