"Every summer, my nana makes a summer pudding the traditional way with sliced white bread, the way she ate it growing up. We’ve kept her recipe the same but swapped the bread for panettone.”- Hannah Lewry and Claire- Ellen Van Rooyen
- 700 g Woolworths frozen mixed summer berries
- 100 g sugar
- 1 t vanilla paste
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 1 Woolworths large panettone
- Woolworths berry jam, for spreading
- crème fraîche, for serving
1. Line a 1-litre pudding bowl with 2 layers of clingfilm, letting a little hang over the sides.
2. Place the berries, sugar, vanilla and orange juice and zest into a saucepan and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes. Reserve 2 ladlefuls of the juice for serving and set the rest aside.
3. Slice the panettone as you would a loaf of bread. Remove the crusts and discard. Spread each slice with jam and line the base, jam-side facing inwards, and sides of the pudding bowl, making sure there are no gaps.
4. Ladle the berries and juice into the lined bowl and top with another slice of panettone. Fold over the clingfilm and place a saucer on top of the pudding. Place a weight (e.g. a can of food) on top of the saucer and chill overnight.
5. To serve, remove the weight and saucer and carefully peel back the clingfilm. Invert onto a serving plate. Remove the bowl and clingfilm. Serve with crème fraîche and the reserved syrup.
Cook’s note: If you like, reduce the reserved syrup to make it slightly thicker
Photographs: Myburgh Du Plessis
Production: Hannah Lewry and Claire- Ellen Van Rooyen