- For the steak
- 2 x 300 g matured free-range sirloin steaks, each about 5 cm thick
- olive oil
- flaky sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 250 g butternut-and-sage pansotti or fourcheese
- tortelloni, cooked according to package
- instructions, for serving
- Italian Parmesan, finely grated, for serving
- wild rocket, to garnish
- For the butternut mash, blend
- 500 g ready-to-use butternut chunks, steamed until tender
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ cup grated Italian Parmesan
- 2 T olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Wipe the steaks, then, using a sharp knife, crisscross the layer of fat on each. Moisten the steaks with oil and season with salt. Sear on a high heat in a preheated ridged cast-iron pan, fat side down first, then on both sides.
Transfer to the oven and roast for 5 minutes. Season with pepper and wrap in foil, then leave to rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
To serve: Cut each steak in half and plate with portions of pasta and butternut mash on the side. Drizzle the steaks and pasta with olive oil and sprinkle the pasta with the Parmesan. Garnish with wild rocket.
Per serving: 2633.5 KJ, 47.6 g protein, 30.2 g fat, 33.9 g carbs
TASTE’s take: They may look glamorous, but these affordable midweek meals are as easy as one, two, three.