- 6 free-range egg whites, at room temperature
- 350 g caster sugar
- 1 x 360 g punnet blueberries
- 3 T maple syrup
- 2 T lemon juice
- ¼ cup brandy, sherry or Cointreau
- 4 nectarines, thinly sliced
- 160 g raspberries
- 2 cups cream, whipped
- icing sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 120°C. Beat the egg whites until frothy, then gradually add the sugar and beat until stiff.
2. Place dollops of egg-white mixture onto a tray lined with greaseproof paper, then bake for 2 hours. Turn off the oven and leave overnight.
3. Place the blueberries and maple syrup in a pan and cook gently for 5 minutes. Add the lemon juice and brandy.
4. To assemble, layer the meringues, fruit and cream in a trifle bowl, crushing the meringues slightly.
5. Dust with icing sugar. You can push the layers down with a spoon or keep them loose as we did.
Cook’s note: Use Woolworths’ cocoa or salted caramel meringues if you prefer.
Photograph: Myburgh Du Plessis
Food assistants: Bianca Strydom, Jarryd Thesen, Mogau Seshoene