This may be the best way to eat peas! This pea-and-broad bean dip is a great as part of a meze spread.
- 150 g fresh peas or thawed frozen peas
- a small bunch of fresh mint, leaves picked
- 4 T olive oil
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- 300 g broad beans, podded
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- pea shoots, to garnish
1. Place the peas and mint in blender with a good glug of olive oil and half the lemon juice. Pulse to a coarse consistency. Add the broad beans a few at a time and blend to form a thick paste. Do not pur e too smooth; you should still see bits of pea and bean.
2. Stir in a few tablespoons of olive oil to make it spreadable. Add the remaining lemon juice and season. Serve on a plate garnished with pea shoots and a few small broad beans left whole.
Photographs: Jan Ras
Productions: Abigail Donnelly
Food assistant: Bianca Strydom