“A rich and nutty, buttery shortbread biscuit that melts in your mouth.” – Rohann Chetty
- 250 g butter
- 31 g icing sugar
- 31 g caster sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 1 t almond essence
- 100 g pecan nuts chopped
- 2 T cornflour
- 280 g cake flour
- 1 t baking powder
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C. Cream the butter, icing and caster sugar using a hand mixer or in a stand mixer until light and fluffy.
Add the almond essence and pecan nuts, mix until combined.
2. Sift in the cornflour, flour and baking powder and mix until a dough forms. Roll dough into a ball and wrap with clingfilm. Chill for 30 minutes.
3. Break off small pieces of dough, roll into a ball, then roll out into horseshoe shapes. Place on a lined baking tray and bake for 12–15 minutes.
4. Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Allow to cool for 8–10 minutes, then dust with caster sugar.
Photographs: Jan Ras
Production: Khanya Mzongwana
Food assistant: Tahila Pillay