- 340 g butter
- 400 g sugar
- 5 free-range eggs
- 2 t caramel essence
- 1½ t vanilla extract
- 1 cup Ideal evaporated milk
- 360 g flour, sifted
- 1 t baking powder
- ½ t bicarbonate of soda
- 150 g desiccated coconut
- For the icing:
- 1 cup cream
- 200 g Woolworths milk chocolate drops
- 1 x 360 g can Caramel Treat
- 150 g Peppermint Crisp, crushed
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease 2 x 18 cm cake tins. Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, this should take 10 minutes.
2. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition. Add the caramel and vanilla extract.
3. Add the Ideal milk and mix until combined. Fold in the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and coconut.
4. Transfer the mixture into the greased cake tins and bake for 25–35 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
5. To make the icing, heat the cream, then pour it over the chocolate drops and stir until the chocolate has melted. Allow to cool slightly.
6. Once the cakes have cooled, sandwich them together using some Caramel Treat. Wrap a piece of acetate around the cake to create a tube, then fill the space created by the acetate with the chocolate ganache and crushed Peppermint Crisp. Release by pulling the acetate up and off the cake.
Photograph: Jan Ras
Food assistant: Bianca Strydom