- 2 x 250 g tubs Woolworths free-range chicken livers
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1-2 t dried chillies (optional)
- 1-2 t smoked paprika
- 1 x 250 ml bottle Woolworths hot peri-peri sauce
- 1⁄2 cup Woolworths plain double-cream yoghurt (or cream)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 lemon, juiced
- 6 Woolworths Heat and Eat Portuguese rolls
Rinse and drain the chicken livers. Heat the oil in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until just golden, then add the chillies and smoked paprika and stir to combine.
Remove from the heat, pour half the oil mixture into a bowl and set aside for serving.
Return the saucepan to a low heat and add half the peri-peri sauce and the yoghurt or cream. Bring to a simmer. Taste to see if you would like more peri- peri sauce. Season to taste, add a squeeze of lemon juice and remove from the heat.
Heat some oil in a pan and fry the livers in batches for 1–2 minutes on each side, then stir through the peri-peri sauce.
Serve with warmed Portuguese rolls and a drizzle of the reserved garlic-and- paprika oil.
Cook’s note: Nothing beats the comfort of a crusty, buttered Portuguese roll topped with hot- from-the-pan peri-peri chicken livers. These are super-fast, so don’t overcook them – just sear quickly as they will continue cooking in the hot sauce. These are also delicious with Woolworths oven-baked sweet potato chips.