- 750 g watermelon, peeled
- 150 g Woolworths barrel-aged sheep and goat’s feta, roughly crumbled
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- a handful red lettuce leaves
- red microherbs, for sprinkling
- pink edible flowers, to garnish (optional)
- For the pickle:
- ½ cup white balsamic vinegar
- 50 g sugar
- 2 t salt
- 1 cup water
Cut the watermelon into small triangles, then place in a bowl or jar.
To make the pickle, bring all the ingredients to a boil in a medium saucepan over a high heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat. Cool completely, then pour over the watermelon. Allow to stand for at least an hour; it’s even better after a few hours. Refrigerate until needed.
To assemble, spoon out the watermelon and place on a platter. Add the cheese and a twist or two of black pepper. Tuck in some red lettuce leaves and add a sprinkling of red microherbs and pink edible flowers.
Cook's note: Watermelon-and-feta salad is a favourite but I wanted to give it a twist, so was delighted to come across this Robby Melvin recipe (southernliving.com). I thought it would be good with goat's feta. It was!