- 4 ripe bananas
- 1 tinned evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup blended dark rum
- 1 1/4 cup cake flour
- 10 ml bicarbonate of soda
- 1 ml salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 30 ml melted butter
- 125 ml buttermilk
- 1 tbsp smooth apricot jam
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup condensed milk
- 1/2 cup fresh cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup white sugar
BANANA ICE CREAM
1. Slice three bananas and place on a baking tray lined with wax paper. Place in the freezer to freeze.
2. Remove the frozen banana slices from the freezer and place in a food processor. Add the sweetened condensed milk, cream and vanilla and process until smooth. Place the mixture into a 500 ml tub and freeze. For a creamy ice cream, remove from the freezer every hour and blend with a hand blender. Continue until the ice cream is solid.
Melt and caramelize the sugar in a non-stick pan. Add the chopped nuts and stir. Pour onto a baking sheet lined with baking paper and leave to harden. The praline can be crushed once hardened.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Butter 6 mini Bundt pans.
2. Sift the flour, bicarb and salt into a mixing bowl.
3. Whisk the eggs and sugar together in another bowl until light and fluffy. Add the jam and mashed banana and mix until incorporated.
4. Add the vinegar and butter to the buttermilk and microwave together for a few seconds until the butter is melted.
5. Fold the flour mixture alternately into the egg mixture with the butter mixture. Mix well but do not over-mix.
6. Pour the mixture into the prepared moulds until ¾ full. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
7. While the malva pudding bakes, prepare the sauce. Place sauce ingredients in a saucepan and heat over low heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to a slow boil over medium heat. Simmer on low heat until slightly thickened
8. Remove the malva cakes from the moulds. Place onto serving plates and pour warm sauce over. Top the puddings with banana ice cream and crushed pecan praline.