- 2 dough balls, stretched
- For the pizza toppings:
- 1 t garlic, crushed
- 100 g cheese mix (75% mozzarella to 25% Emmenthal)
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 10 anchovy fillets, halved
- 3 sprigs rosemary or fresh thyme
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
1. Prepare the pizza base and arrange on a pizza paddle. Sprinkle over the garlic, dot with the cheese mix, then top with the red onion, anchovies and herbs.
2. Bake in a hot pizza oven for 5 minutes, or until the topping is bubbling, the crust is puffy and has a slight char. Alternatively, bake in a preheated oven at 220–250°C for 10–15 minutes on a preheated pizza stone, baking tray or wrap an oven rack in foil and place the pizza directly on the foil so the hot air can circulate easily.
3. Carefully remove from the oven and cut into even slices using a pizza wheel. Season with a crack of black pepper and drizzle liberally with extra virgin olive oil.
Cook's note: A pizza bianca, or “white pizza”, is simply a pizza without the classic tomato sauce. With a pizza as simple as this, you need to invest in the best possible anchovies for the topping.
Photographs: Sadiqah Assur-Ismail
Recipes and production: Hannah Lewry and Anthony Hoard
Food assistant: Kate Ferreira