- For the vanilla base:
- 9 free-range egg yolks
- 200 g sugar
- 1 T vanilla paste
- 4 cups cream
- 1 cup milk
- For the ice cream:
- 4 plums, roughly chopped
- 3 T sugar
To make the vanilla ice-cream base:
1. Beat the egg yolks, sugar and vanilla extract using an electric mixer until pale. This aerates the eggs and makes for a lighter, fluffier ice cream.
2. Combine the egg-yolk mixture with the cream and milk, then pour into a saucepan. Cook over a low to medium heat until thickened. Alternatively, cook in a double boiler.
3. Allow the mixture to cool, then churn in an ice-cream machine until ready to serve. Makes 2 litres
To make the plum ice cream:
1. Make the ice-cream base.
2. Place the plums and sugar in a pan and simmer for 5 minutes, or until syrupy.
3. Allow the plums to cool completely, then purée until smooth. Fold the plums through the churned ice cream and freeze for 4 hours or until firm and ready to serve
Photographs: Jan Ras
Food assistants: Bianca Strydom and Keletso Motau