“This is the kind of treat that brings out your inner child; it’s a great dessert to make with kids over the long weekend.” – Hannah Lewry
- 800 g Woolworths Flavourburst plums, halved and stoned
- 50 g caster sugar
- 230 g self-raising flour
- a pinch salt
- 140 g cold salted butter, cubed
- 2 large free-range eggs, beaten
- 4 T milk
- 60 g Woolworths dark chocolate chips
- 150 g Woolworths marshmallows
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a 30 cm ovenproof skillet. Arrange the plums in the skillet and sprinkle over the sugar and a splash of water. Bake for 10 minutes or until the plums are just soft. Allow to cool while you prepare the batter, keeping the oven on.
2. To make the batter, mix the flour and salt and, using your fingertips, rub in the cold butter until it resembles breadcrumbs.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the eggs and milk. Make a well in the flour mixture. Add the wet ingredients to the well and combine to make a batter. Fold through the chocolate chips. Dot the marshmallows around the plums in the skillet.
4. Spoon over the dough-like batter, leaving a few gaps here and there for the fruit to show through. Bake uncovered for 15–25 minutes, or until crisp and golden and the edges are bubbling.
Cook's note: It’s essential to use cold butter straight from the fridge and to take the time to rub it evenly through the flour with your fingertips – this is what gives the cobbler that light, fluffy inside and perfect crust
Photographs: Robbert Koene
Food assistant: Claire-Ellen van Rooyen