- 8 leeks, cut into 10 cm pieces
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ cup verjuice or water
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 400 g peas, blanched
- 1 fennel bulb, finely chopped
- 8 spring onions, chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 loaf ciabatta, sliced and chargrilled
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Lemon juice, a squeeze
- Mint, to garnish
Place the leeks in a pan with the stock and verjuice or water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain and cool.
Mix the garlic, olive oil and vinegar. Place the leeks, peas, fennel, spring onion and cucumber in a bowl. Add the ciabatta. Pour over the dressing and lemon juice and season. Garnish with mint.
Cook's note: Panzanella is a great way to use up stale ciabatta – charred over the coals and drenched in garlic dressing. Totally addictive. And once you've poached the leeks for this recipe, freeze the liquid to add flavour to risottos, soups and stews.