- 4 free-range duck fillets
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup pomegranate syrup
- 1 cup good-quality chicken stock
- 3 oranges
- 1 grapefruit
- 2 T olive oil
- 4 crusty Portuguese rolls
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 1 cup red cabbage shredded
- 1 cup cabbage shredded
- ½ red onion sliced
- 2 T good-quality mayonnaise
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Rub the duck fillets with sea salt and arrange in an ovenproof casserole.
Add the pomegranate syrup, chicken stock, the juice of 1 orange and a piece each of orange and grapefruit peel.
Drizzle with olive oil and cover with foil. Roast for 1 hour, removing the foil 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time to brown the skin.
Slice and serve on crusty rolls with a good spoonful of citrus slaw.
To make the citrus slaw, peel the remaining oranges and the grapefruit and cut the flesh into bite-sized chunks. Place in a large mixing bowl.
Grate the carrots into the bowl and mix in both cabbages, the red onion and mayonnaise. Season to taste.