- 500 g pork mince
- 250 g chicken livers, finely chopped
- 3 leeks, washed and finely chopped
- ¼ bulb fennel, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 T Italian parsley chopped
- 1 free-range egg
- flour, for dusting
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 x 250 g Woolworths fresh tagliatelle packets, cooked al dente
- For the tomato sauce:
- 2 t olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 T tomato paste
- 1 x 800 g Italian whole peeled tomatoes can
- 25 g dried porcini mushrooms, soaked in cold water
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Combine the pork mince, chicken livers, leeks, fennel, red onion, parsley and egg. Roll into balls and dust with our.
Heat the oil in a nonstick pan over a high heat. Fry the meatballs until golden brown, then place on a baking tray. Finish cooking the meatballs in the oven at 180°C just before serving.
To make the tomato sauce, heat the oil in a small saucepan, then add the garlic and chilli. Add the tomato paste, whole peeled tomatoes and mushrooms, and cook for 15–20 minutes. Season to taste.
Toss the meatballs through the tomato sauce and serve with the tagliatelle. Season to taste
Cook’s note: If you like, garnish with a few deep-fried sage sprigs. Heat a little olive oil to a very high temperature, drop in the sage sprigs and fry until they stop bubbling. Drain on kitchen paper.