If you're not familiar with pork ribeyes, you're missing out. They deliver on flavour, they're easy to throw on the braai and they're a more budget-friendly cut.
- For the stokbrood
- 1 cup milk, warmed
- 2 T sugar
- 10 g dried yeast
- 225 g pumpkin purée
- 230 g butter, melted
- 540 g flour
- For the honey butter:
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 T butter
- 1/2 t Woolworths liquid smoke extract
- salt, to taste
- For the pork
- 3 T Woolworths chipotle in adobo, chopped
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1.1 kg Woolworth pork rib-eye steaks
1. Make the stokbrood. To make the dough, combine the milk, sugar and yeast. Allow to stand for 10 minutes. Add the pumpkin purée and butter. Gradually start adding the flour to the pumpkin mixture until a firm ball has formed. Knead for 10–15 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
2. Place in a bowl, cover and allow to rise for an hour or until doubled in size.
3. Once risen, knock down and divide into 12 equal-sized balls. Roll out into strips about finger-sized in thickness. Twist the dough around skewers and braai over medium coals for 10–12 minutes, turning occasionally.
4. To make the honey butter, place all the ingredients in a cast-iron pan and heat until the butter is melted and bubbling, about 2-5 minutes.
5. For the pork: combine the chipotles, lemon juice and olive oil, then marinade pork chops in the mixture for 1 hour.
6. Braai over medium heat coals for 10 –15 minutes, or until slightly charred. Serve with the pumpkin stokbrood.