These delicious sticky pork sausage kebabs will make a welcome addition to your braai repertoire. Make them as a starter for everyone to enjoy before the main event.
- For the poached pork sausages:
- 2 x 500 g packs pork sausages
- 1 litre chicken stock or beer
- 10 g thyme (or 4 bay leaves)
- 10 peppercorns
- 4–6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 x 5 cm piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 chillies, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- For the honey-and-mustard glaze, mix:
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 T wholegrain mustard
- 1 T Dijon mustard
- 2 T soya sauce
1. Prick the pork sausages with the tip of a sharp knife. Place the stock or beer, thyme and peppercorns into a large saucepan and bring to a fast simmer. Add the pork sausages and poach for 10 minutes, then remove from the poaching liquid.
2. Fry the garlic, ginger and chillies until just golden. Make an incision into the sausages and stuff with a little of the ginger, garlic and chilli mixture, then thread the sausages onto kebab sticks or skewers.
3. Baste the sausages with the honey-and-mustard glaze and braai over hot coals until sticky and glossy. Serve as a snack.
Photograph: Sadiqah Assur-Ismail
Production: Hannah Lewry
Food Assistants: Claire-Ellen van Rooyen and Ellen Scwerdtfeger